The APEC Automotive Dialogue (AD) serves as a forum for APEC member economy officials and senior industry representatives to work together to map-out strategies for increasing the integration and development of the automotive sector within the region.
The AD was established in recognition of the crosscutting nature of the automotive industry and of the broad benefits to many economies of trade liberalization and facilitation in this sector. It allows the public and private sectors to work together to improve policy development, to identify barriers to growth and to develop effective cooperation mechanisms for APEC economies to address and reduce impediments.
The goals of the AD are to engage participants in cooperative efforts to foster the growth and development of the regional auto industry and to provide actionable recommendations to APEC Ministers and Leaders.
AD has a clearly defined set of priority action areas based on Leaders’ Declarations and Ministerial Statements as well as instructions from the Senior Officials and Committee on Trade and Investment. The directions for the activities of AD are also set in its Terms of Reference and Work Plan.
The AD first met in 1999 in Indonesia and has continued to meet every year since then.
Last page update: May 2017
The 26th AD Meeting was held in Ha Noi, Viet Nam, on 10-12 May 2017. The members shared information on the automotive industry and market situation and discussed a number of ongoing topics and initiatives, including integration of SME suppliers into automotive global value chains, implementation of the Electric Vehicles Roadmap, Compendium of Motor Vehicle-Related Taxes in APEC, Compendium of Automotive Business Regimes in APEC, and study of the impact of government policy instruments on promoting new energy vehicles.
The Asia-Pacific Region Automotive Industry Sustainable Development Declaration submitted by China was endorsed at the 20th AD meeting during 23-25 April 2014 in Beijing.
The AD committed to the following goals:
- Further improve the best practices sharing mechanism among APEC members for the auto sector.
- Enhance the exchange of information related to the harmonization of policies, regulations and technical standards related to the automotive sector.
- Promote employment and social stability in the region by continuing to encourage investment in the automobile and automotive parts sectors.
- Improve the auto industry’s technology cooperation, by continuing to foster and improve the auto industry’s innovation ability and competitiveness; further reduce the auto industry’s impact on the environment, promote vehicle safety performance, promote R&D in innovative vehicle technologies, future alternative energy sources and transportation infrastructure.
- Promote innovation in the area of finance related to automobile industry and work collectively to enhance the financial sector’s support for the auto industry.
Jointly promote the efficient utilization of resources and improve the recovery and recycling ratios of end-of-life vehicles.
Dir. Ma. Corazon Halili-Dichosa (Ms)
Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
Pavel Bronnikov (Mr)
11 May 2017
26th Automotive Dialogue (AD26)
Ha Noi, Viet Nam
10 May 2017
26th Automotive Dialogue (AD26) - Bilateral Meetings
Ha Noi, Viet Nam
19 Feb 2017
Automotive Dialogue (AD) Meeting
Nha Trang, Viet Nam