The 37th meeting of TPTWG was hosted by Viet Nam on 8-12 April 2013, in Ho Chi Minh City. The agenda of the group responds to the priorities set by Indonesia for APEC in 2013. Topics discussed include issues of Green Growth, Blue Economy, Women in Transport, Private-Public Partnership, Air Safety and Security, Port Development, Cooperation with other international fora, facilitation of the regional travel, Business Aviation and many others. Further to these, the TPTWG is expected to play an active role in the Supply Chain Framework proposed by SOMs in 2013. This initiative (yet to be fully designed and launched) is to act as the comprehensive network aimed at a resilient, effective and safe supply chain system in Asia-Pacific.
An Interim Drafting Session in preparation for the upcoming Transportation Ministers’ Meeting was hosted in Singapore on 28-29 May 2013.
The next meeting of TPTWG is scheduled for 1-6 July 2013, in Bali, Indonesia.
The 35th TPTWG meeting was held in Thailand in February 2012 and the 36th Transportation Working Group Meeting was held in Saint-Petersburg, Russia in late July 2012, followed by the Special Transportation Ministerial Meeting (STMM) held in August 2012. The meetings focused on addressing the priorities set by Russia for 2012 and initiatives introduced by the Russian Delegation to TPTWG – Diversified Supply Chains and Intelligent Supply Chains – and resulted in adopting the St. Petersburg Ministerial Declaration of the 2012 APEC Special Transportation Ministerial Meeting.
The TPTWG became a part of the Travel Facilitation Initiative and keeps working in close coordination with other APEC working groups, including the Energy Working Group, the Business Mobility Group, the Sub-Committee on Customs Procedures and others.
The TPTWG has successfully implemented a significant number of projects and is implementing a number of projects currently with more than ten that started in 2012.
- Transport, Energy and Environmental Benefits of Intermodal Freight Strategies
- Security Monitoring Model and Network for Regional Supply Chain with a particular focus on food security
- International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code Implementation Assistance Program (ICIAP)
- International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code Port Security Visit Program (PSVP)
- Airport Safety Evaluation Visit Program
- Sustainable Intermodal Transportation Using Short Sea Shipping
- APEC Training Course on Common Principles to Shipping Policy
- The Last-Mile of Supply Chain – Third Party Logistics Forum and Technical Visits
- Performance-Based Navigation Regulatory Review and Evaluation Program (PBNRREVP)
- Sharing Best Practices for Seamless Intermodal Cargo Movement
- Study to Develop a Green Port Evaluation Index
- Automated Transport Management Systems Implementation for Optimizing Logistics within the Asia-Pacific with an Emphasis on ITS and GNSS Application
The 7th Transportation Ministerial Meeting and the APEC Ministerial Conference on Transportation and Energy were held in San Francisco, the United States in September 2011, under the theme: “Balancing Safety, Security and Sustainability for the APEC Region.” Discussion topics included green growth and transportation innovation; regulatory cooperation and convergence; and strengthening regional economic integration in the transportation sector.
In the first APEC Ministerial Conference on Transportation and Energy, ministers focused on the theme: “Moving APEC towards a Low-Energy, Low-Carbon Sustainable Transport Future.” Discussion topics included powering low-carbon transport through biofuels and electricity; and greening the supply chain in the APEC region.
Alexey SAPETKO (Mr)
Arlene TURNER (Ms)
International and Intergovernmental Relations
Place de Ville, Tower C, 330 Sparks Street,
Canada, K1A 0N5
Tel: +613 991 6500
Fax: +613 991 6422