APEC 2017 HIGH-LEVEL POLICY DIALOGUE ON
HUMAN RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT IN THE DIGITAL AGE
STATEMENT OF THE CHAIR
1. The APEC Ministers and high-level representatives responsible for human resources development met in Ha Noi, Viet Nam on May 15, 2017 for the APEC 2017 High-level Policy Dialogue on Human Resources Development in the Digital Age under the Chairmanship of H.E. Dao Ngoc Dung, Minister of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs of Viet Nam. The meeting was also attended by the Executive Director of the APEC Secretariat, representatives of businesses and workers and of relevant global agencies.
2. Ministers and high-level representatives welcomed and appreciated the keynote address by Deputy Prime Minister of Viet Nam H.E. Vu Duc Dam at the Dialogue. They supported his emphasis on the urgent need to promote human resources development in the context of the digital age and the Fourth industrial revolution to create new dynamism and promote sustainable, inclusive and innovative growth. They lauded the active participation of the International Labor Organization (ILO), the World Bank (WB), other international organizations, academia, businesses and workers’ representatives in this Dialogue and their contributions to its deliverables.
3. Ministers and high-level representatives discussed the implications of digitalisation on the future of work and the challenges and opportunities that will present for APEC economies, policy makers, business community and workers in the region. In addressing these challenges, they will focus particular attention on skills, education and training to ensure that labor market participants are well placed to take advantage of new opportunities. They are also especially mindful of the importance of not leaving people behind and that social protection policies need to be implemented to support those affected by structural changes.
4. Ministers and high-level representatives adopted a Framework on Human Resources Development in the Digital Age. The Framework puts forward an appropriate set of policy directions and measures in order to support economies to prepare labor market participants for the challenges and opportunities in the world of work today and beyond. It complements existing APEC initiatives and contributes to global efforts in this regard, including the ILO “Future of Work Centenary Initiative” and efforts aimed at achieving the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, particularly Goal 4 to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education for all and promote lifelong learning and Goal 8 to create new dynamism for growth, achieve sustainable, innovative and inclusive growth, employment and decent work for all. It also fosters shared prosperity for the Asia-Pacific region.
5. Ministers and high-level representatives agreed to report the Framework on Human Resources Development in the Digital Age to the APEC Ministerial Meeting for their endorsement and consideration of submission to the APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting in November in Da Nang, Viet Nam.
6. Ministers and high-level representatives thanked Viet Nam for the warm hospitality and excellent arrangements, which helped to ensure the success of the Dialogue. They look forward to the next Human Resources Development Ministerial Meeting hosted by Papua New Guinea in 2018.